Saturday’s Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s® at Long Branch Park in Liverpool raised $208,169 to support Alzheimer’s programs and research. Not only did the event break Chapter records for fundraising and participation, but it was the first-time a Central New York Walk to End Alzheimer’s® eclipsed the $200,000 mark.
“I cannot explain in words how incredible this Walk was,” said Catherine James, chief executive officer for the Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter. “Everyone outdid themselves this year, from our tireless committee members to the efforts of our team and walkers. I could not be happier and more proud of an event than I am today.”
More than 1,800 people took part in the event, which began with an emotional opening ceremony led by Jim Teske of WSYR-TV and emcees at Long Branch Park and included a three-mile walk along the Onondaga Lake shoreline. They also learned about Alzheimer’s disease and how to further their commitment to the cause. Funds raised at Walk to End Alzheimer’s® provide care and support programs, as well as medical and scientific research to find a cure for Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
Alison Wolfe of Syracuse was the event’s top fundraiser at $2,575. She was a member of Debbie’s Wolfe Pack, which was the top friend and family team, having raised $19,422. Loretto was the top senior care team at $7,103, while the Central New York Chapter Staff team was the top corporate team at $4,381.
2015 Walk to End Alzheimer’s® — Syracuse, NY
Updated October 6, 2015 at 2 p.m.
- Alison Wolfe, $2,675
- Thomas Grooms, $2,445
- Jean Carnese, $2,050
- Jared Paventi, $1,951
- Debbie Wolfe, $1,942
Friends & Family Teams
- Debbie’s Wolfe Pack, $19,807
- Irish Eyes Are Smiling, $4,124
- Walking for Mimi, $3,455
- Carl’s Crusaders for a Cure, $2,895
- Team Vito the Champion, $2,785
- Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter Staff, $4,331
- Siren Studios Tattoo, $3,612
- Family Practice Associates, $3,246
- SU Alzheimer’s Student Organization, $2,530
- Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter Board of Directors, $2,525
Senior Care Teams
- Loretto, $6,909
- St. Camillus AlzStars, $6,189
- Van Duyn Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, $5,205
- VNA Purple Power Walkers, $3,677
- McHarrie Life, $2,376