In 2006, a Mohawk Valley family approached the Alzheimer’s Association about starting a golf tournament to pay tribute to a relative with Alzheimer’s disease. Friday marked the day that the Sito’s Angels Golf Classic presented by New York State Tool became an official Alzheimer’s Association event. More than 100 golfers took over the Barker Brook Golf Club in Oriskany Falls to support the Central New York Chapter.
For seven years, the Sito’s Angels Golf Classic was a tournament run by the children and grandchildren of Katie Deep, an avid golfer who had to give up her clubs because Alzheimer’s disease. Her family called her “Sito,” which is Lebanese for grandmother (Sito’s Angels is the name of the Walk To End Alzheimer’s team that her family unites as each fall.). The family asked if the Chapter would be interested in taking over the tournament and continuing Katie’s legacy on the links.
The 2013 tournament was presented by New York State Tool and had more than 25 teams in the field. While no one was able to cash in on the hole-in-one prizes provided by Carbone Auto Group, including the 2013 Nissan Sentra, prizes were awarded to the top teams and golfers on the course.
Top Men’s Teams
1. Greg Rank, Steve Bush, Jim Randall, Andy Shaheen
2. Bill Quesnelle, Bob Quesnelle, Mickey Poirer, Josh Poirer
3. Scott Burns, George Amendolare, Greg Jones, Dr. Cephas
Top Mixed Teams
1. Ross Kraft, Sue Kraft, Tom Darling
2. Sam Grande, Dan Reynolds, Jason Palkovic, Stacie Perrie
3. Don Stanton, Mike Stanton, Dick Stanton, Sue Erenwein
Top Women’s Teams
1. Jennifer Gugnacki, Christine St. Germaine, Debbie Roberts, Melissa Penczek
2. Penny Trojan, Alison Tipple, Jeanette Pawlik, and Cindy
3. Carey Lindfield, Jean Reile, Marie Melnik, Nora Revera
Longest Drive (Men): George Amendolare
Longest Drive (Women): Melissa Penczek
Closest to the Pin (Men): Bill Quesnelle
Closest to the Pin (Women): Jeanette Pawlik